Ontario Gates - Barrie Ontario - Gate Openers Ontario
« « « « Ontario Gates » » » »
Ontario Gate Projects in Barrie Canada
Gate Operating System Information
AUTOMATIC GATE SYSTEM
Ontario driveway gate systems come in many types, sizes, variations, and prices. Preliminary information about Ontario gates, gate operators, access control systems, exit systems and emergency access systems are described below.
These Ontario driveway gates come in many designs and styles. An Ontario logging road driveway gate will surely meet your requirements regarding vandalism resistance, a chain link Ontario driveway gate will make the accountant happy, and an Ontario ornamental iron driveway gate can make a statement on a variety of levels. Each Ontario driveway gate has their own characteristics related to security, space requirements, ease of operation, and aesthetics. Tied closely to these choices is the Ontario driveway gate's operation system. Ontario driveway gates can be hinged on the side, swinging in or out like the front door of your home, pivot from the side and rotate up like the barrier arm at the entrance to a parking lot or it can slide to the side.
DRIVEWAY GATE OPERATORS
The driveway gate operator opens and closes the driveway gate. The type and size of driveway gate operator changes with the type and size of driveway gate. The driveway gate operator should have some type of battery back-up system allowing the ability to function in the event of a power outage. There are two ways of functioning in the event of a power outage, "Fail Safe" and "Fail Secure". Fail Safe automatically opens the driveway gate when the power goes out, then automatically resets and closes upon restoration of power (it should be noted that since the Fail Safe configuration includes automatic operation, it is important to have a "safety system" in place). Fail Secure keeps the driveway gate closed in the event of a power outage. The entire driveway gate operator/control system can be equipped with a "full function" battery back-up, allowing all of the system components to function if the power goes out. Some driveway gate operators are designed with built-in batteries, which can be utilized to provide Fail Safe function. Other driveway gate operators can have a battery back-up added to provide Fail Safe function. Most driveway gate operators are equipped with an internal timer that can be turned on to automatically close the driveway gate after an adjustable time delay. Many driveway gate operators are equipped with an inherent reversing device, which will automatically stop or reverse if the driveway gate contacts an object during operation.
ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEMS
An access control system is a device that opens a driveway gate for resident or visitor. They come in several variations. The most popular methods for sending an "open" command to the driveway gate operator are as follows:
1) Radio control transmitters and receivers (similar to those used for opening garage doors) can be used, and are certainly the most common access control device. These can also be supplied in a multi-button configuration - one button will open the driveway gate, another button will open the garage door. Radio control systems come in several security levels. With some systems each transmitter (clicker) has a unique coding, so that if that transmitter is lost or stolen, access for that transmitter can be denied.
2) Preprogram entry codes can be entered onto a keypad (also called a keyless entry system) adjacent to the driveway gate. Most programmable keypads are capable of storing at least 20 entry codes; and the codes can be assigned "time zones", so that some codes will open the driveway gate only Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm, and other codes will open the driveway gate any time.
3) A card reader, utilizing a credit card sized card, reads the code programmed onto the card's magnetic strip. Card readers come in several variations. Some card readers need to have the card slid into a reading head, similar to those used at a gas pump or at the market. Others, termed proximity card readers, require the user to simply get the card near the card reader (up to eighteen inches away); others may require the user to place the card on the reader. The advantage of proximity cards is that the magnetic strip doesn't get scratched and damaged with use. Each card has a unique code so that, if it is lost or stolen, access can be denied.
4) A "telephone entry system" allow visitors at the driveway gate to call and speak with a resident over the telephone, who may then allow them access by pressing a button on their phone or the resident may pick their phone and press buttons that will hold the driveway gate open until they repeat the process and close the driveway gate. The system can be programmed to automatically open the driveway gate and hold it open for a set time. It also comes with a keypad for entry codes. Most have two relays so that a second driveway gate, closed circuit television camera or landscape lights can be controlled. Some are computer programmable, making it considerably easier to program, and have transaction buffers, which store the date and time of each entry code's use.
A safety system, sometimes called a reversing system, prevents the driveway gate from closing if there is an obstruction in the driveway gate's path. It should be noted that the safety system does not prevent the driveway gate from opening. This is done so that, in an emergency, a malfunctioning safety system won't prevent egress. Safety systems are always a good idea, but are especially important if the driveway gate's timer is set to automatically close the driveway gate. The different types of reversing systems all have pros and cons. For example:
1) The most common vehicular sensing system is a "loop detector" which senses the change in the earth's magnetic flux as a mass of metal (a vehicle) passes over wires which have been buried in the driveway. Loops are placed on both sides, and sometimes directly below the driveway gate, holding it open for a vehicle stopped, or a procession of cars in the driveway gate's path.
2) Photo-eyes sense the presence of persons or vehicles with the use of a light beam that crosses the path to be protected. "Breaking the Beam" sends a signal to the operator that something is in the path.
3) Safty edge-detectors are used to stop or reverse the driveway gate upon contacting an obstruction.
4) Flashing lights, a rotating beacon, or an audible alarm can also be used to warn persons in the area that the driveway gate is moving.
This system automatically opens the driveway gate for an exiting vehicle, and is used if the driveway gate operator's timer is set to automatically close the driveway gate. It comes in two variations, standard and direct-sensing. The standard exit detector utilizes a single loop detector. (the disadvantage of this system in a two direction driveway is that the driveway gate will re-open as an entering vehicle passes over, increasing the possibility of unauthorized entry by a vehicle closely following) The direction-sensing exit detector utilizes two loop detectors, opening the driveway gate for an exiting vehicle only. Other devices, such as push buttons, keypads, and photo eyes, can be used to open the driveway gate for exiting vehicles, but the most common is the loop detector.
The emergency access system opens the driveway gate for Fire Department and Law Enforcement Personnel.
1) The Knox system allows only fire department access, utilizing a special key which is kept in fire engine and paramedic vehicles.
2) The strobe system (which is the system emergency vehicles use to control traffic lights) allows access to any emergency vehicle equipped with a strobe emitter, which includes most emergency vehicles in our area.
3) The siren-operated-sensor allows access to any emergency vehicle equipped with a "yelp" function on their siren, which is also on most emergency vehicles in our area.
There are other options available such as closed circuit television (CCTV) and automatic vehicle sensors. Other considerations when installing a driveway gate and a driveway gate operating system is electrical supply access, telephone access, road work, masonry work, and landscaping.
Commercial & Residential Gates & Gate Openers
Security Gates Slide Gates Parking Lot Gates Driveway Gates Swing Gates
Barrie Gate Systems in Ontario provides expert commercial security gates and gate opener installation and repair in the Barrie area of Ontario.
The Barrie Driveway Gate Company is committed to quality and service in Ontario.
TERMS & CONDITIONS: The
information provided on this page is intended for reference use only. Barrie
Gate Systems in Ontario holds no responsibility for the information provided on
these websites. By using this information you agree Barrie Gate Systems in
Ontario shall not be held responsible for errors, omissions, inaccuracies
contained herein, or any casualty, loss or damages resulting from use of this
information. This site is protected by Copyright. It is forbidden to reproduce
any part of this site, in any form, without prior written permission from the
author. April 17, 2010
Additional Information Soon
Ontario Gates and Gate Openers in Ontario Canada
Ontario Gates and Gate Openers in Ontario a company dedicated to Ontario gate operating systems and access control associated with commercial and residential security gates.
At this time of rising security needs, you need a Canadian company that specializes in Ontario gate systems and access control for your home, apartment complex, business or parking lots installation. Ontario Gates and Gate Openers in Ontario Canada is dedicated to professional installation, and prompt service of gate operators and access control systems.
Unlike other Ontario companies who install and service these systems as part of their business, Ontario Gates and Gate Openers in Ontario Canada is strictly focused on the gate operators, access control components of automatic gates, its our specialty! This provides the assurance that the system will be installed, configured, and maintained to provide good perimeter security for many years to come.
If you are considering a new driveway gate system, Ontario Gates and Gate Openers in Ontario Canada provides the solutions for each sites need. Our staff can take you step-by-step through the security driveway gate planning, ensuring that the system is design to your budget.
For existing driveway gate systems in Ontario, we provide quick service for repairs on all major brands. Ontario Gates and Gate Openers in Ontario Canada also offers scheduled maintenance plans that are matched to the usage patterns of the gate equipment on your site. Remember these are mechanical systems that operate in an outside environment, and therefore are subject to dust, moisture, pests, and other factors that can deteriorate performance over time. Preventative maintenance will reduce the long term cost of expensive repairs due to normal wear and outdoor exposure.
Ontario Gates and Gate Openers in Ontario Canada is a fully insured, bondable, licensed and certified gate operator and access control company. Our systems feature quality products from recognized industry leaders.
Now that you know were here . . . we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with a free consultation for maintenance services, repairs, or a new system design for your Ontario property, please dont hesitate to give us a call.